In order to make a train journey not only pleasant but also more affordable, we recommend you to consider a number of discounts for the purchase of railway tickets. This information will be especially useful to those who plan their travel with no time pressure and no limitation to specific dates, since the cost of a travel document is influenced by seasonality and your departure day.
By simultaneously using several discounts, you can choose the best-priced ticket in the direction you're interested in.
Ukrzaliznytsia offers the following discounts for travel documents:
- The Order of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine determines 13 calendar periods to which the travel cost regulation coefficients are linked and which affect the final ticket price.
The most inexpensive tickets – 70% and 80% of total price – are only available on December 31 and May 9, respectively.
A ticket purchased in the period from January 21 to 31 will cost you 14% less, from October 1 to December 24 – 7% less.Tickets are most "expensive" from December 25 to 30 (10% more expensive) and in the vacation period from June 1 to August 31 (7% more expensive).
- The cost of tickets is also influenced by the train departure day. For all categories of coaches, except suburban, the following coefficients apply:
- Monday, Thursday, Saturday — base rate;
- Tuesday and Wednesday — 10% discount;
- Friday and Sunday — tickets are 10% more expensive.
Discounts for Intercity+ trains can be highlighted in particular:
- Cost coefficient by days of the week:
- Monday, Saturday — 10% discount;
- Friday, Sunday — tickets are 10% more expensive.
- When you're purchasing tickets for first class coaches, the price varies depending on the train departure date:
- 30 days prior – 15%;
- 29-25 days prior – 10%;
- 24-15 days prior – 5%;
- 14-5 days prior — standard cost;
- 4-2 days prior +10%;
- 1-0 days prior +15%.
- When you're purchasing roundtrip tickets for first and second class coaches, 10% discount for Intercity trains is provided.